|Create Your Blog with Blogger|
Signing Up and Choosing Your Template
- Go to the Blogger site.
- If you have a Google Account, sign in to Blogger by entering your email address and password in the upper right hand corner.
- If you do not have a Google Account, get started by clicking on the Create Your Blog Now button.
- You will next be asked to name your blog and choose your blog’s URL address. (If you’ve purchased a domain name that you would like to use in lieu of the Blogger address, you can click on the Advanced Blog Setup link for assistance.)
- Next you will be taken to a screen that lets you select a template for your blog’s design. Pick one, and remember that you can always change it later.
- Once you’ve chosen your template, you can start posting.
Your First Post
Fig. 3: Blogger Text Editor: Add Image and Video Icons (Upper Right); Publish Post Button (Lower Left)
- Blogger uses a rich text editor that operates exactly like a word processor. What you see is what you get.
- Enter a title for your post in the Title field and begin writing.
- You can insert images or video into your post by clicking on the Add Image or Add Video icons on the upper right side of your text editor. (If you know HTML, you can view your post’s source code by clicking on the Edit HTML tab.)
- When you’re done writing your post, click on the publish button or save your post as a draft for later publication.
- You will then be given the option to view your blog, edit your post or create a new one.
- Whenever you're ready to write a new post or manage your old ones, simply click on the Posting tab of your Blogger interface.
Exploring Your Settings and Template Tabs
- You’ll notice that in addition to the Posts tab, you also have a Settings and Template tab at the top of your Blogger interface. (On your Blogger Dashboard, these appear as the Settings and Layout links.)
- Under the Settings Tab, you’ll find all kinds of options to help customize your blog. You can control how many posts appear on the front page, how frequently your posts are archived and whether or not your blog is added to the Blogger directory.
- You’ll also be able to add an RSS link to your blog through Blogger or FeedBurner and control the terms under which viewers can comment on your posts.
Fig. 4: Blogger Settings Tab
- Under the Template Tab, you’ll have the option of switching templates, choosing the colors that fit your blog, adding or deleting information from your sidebar and, if you know HTML, actually editing your template’s source code.
Fig. 5: Blogger Template Tab
Your Profile Page
- To create a profile page to go along with your blog, go to your Dashboard. You will find a link to Blogger's Dashboard in the upper right hand corner of your screen.
- On your Dashboard, you’ll see the option to edit your profile in the right hand corner.
- Click Edit Profile. Add as much or as little information as you'd like your readers to know about you on your Profile page.
- This profile is what readers will see when they click the About Me link in your blog’s sidebar. This is a default setting in your Blogger template. The About Me link can always be removed by clicking on your Templates tab and editing your Page Elements.
Fig. 6: Blogger Dashboard: Post, Setting and Layout Links; Edit Profile Link
- Blogger offers domain mapping capabilites for those users who wish to "point" a registered domain name toward their Blogger blog. By utilizing this option, your blog's URL address will be www.yourblogname.com instead of www.yourblogname.blogspot.com.
- You will find Blogger's domain mapping option under the Settings tab. Once you've clicked on the Settings tab, click on the Publishing button to switch to a Custom Domain.
- Blogger Domain Mapping Instructions
Deleting Your Blog
- You can delete your blog at any time by clicking on the Delete This Blog button at the bottom of the Basics page under the Settings tab.